New Horizons: A Mental Health Symposium was co-hosted by the Cobb & Douglas Behavioral Health Workgroup, Kennesaw State University, and WellStar Health System on May 11, 2019. The purpose of this event was to inform community members about relevant mental health issues and empower them with the knowledge and resources to deal with these mental health issues.
New Horizons featured presentations from mental health experts, personal stories from community members, mental health resources, and free depression and anxiety assessments. Recordings of the speaker presentations from this event are below.
Session 1: Mental Health Resources in Cobb County; Mental Health Stigma & Cultural Competency
Session 2: Substance Abuse & Opioids; Trauma & Coping
1. Laura Searcy, MN, APRN – Cobb Community Alliance for Prevention of Substance Abuse
2. Tate Sams – Blue Ridge Mountain Recovery Center
3. Travis Goure – Kennesaw State University, Center for Young Adult Addiction and Recovery
4. Ligon Durham – Community Member
5. Irene Mclatchey, PhD – Kennesaw State University
6. Julie Beem – Trauma & Attachment Network
Moderated by Lawrence Bryant, PhD, MPH, RRT – Kennesaw State University
Behavioral Health Resources
Are you or someone you know in need of behavioral or mental health services? Use The Georgia Collaborative’s Find a Provider tool to locate agencies and programs in your area that fit your needs.
If you are in need of immediate assistance please contact the Georgia Crisis and Access Line (GCAL) 1-800-715-4225. Alternatively, you can download the “My GCAL” app, then chat or text for help.