Take Steps Toward a Healthier You!
In support of Cobb2020, Walk Cobb is a collaborative walking initiative among schools, businesses, organizations, universities and municipalities that focuses on helping Cobb County's youth and adults embrace healthier lifestyles. We will use the Walk Georgia program to log minutes of physical activity and virtually travel across Georgia learning about each county you "visit" and new ways to improve your health.
Why Should You Join Walk Cobb?
• Get Fit.
• Start the habit of regular physical activity.
• Join together and get support from others who are all interested in moving more.
• Have fun and be social!
How Do I Get Started?
• Register as a team or individual: You can gather friends and sign up as a team of four, or if you do not have enough people but still want to participate, create an individual account. Go to http://www.walkgeorgia.org to sign up and register as a team/individual using the group name: Cobb2020 starting on October 1, 2013 - October 9, 2013.
• Get moving: Walk 2-3 times per week and encourage your team members to do the same! Teams and individuals will record their walking during the Walk Georgia Campaign from October 1, 2013 through November 23, 2013.
• Record your steps: Record your physical activity on your Walk Georgia webpage. If you do not have computer access, use the attached form, and your team captain can enter in your physical activity information.
• Stay connected: Visit the Cobb2020 calendar to locate community events that will keep you moving.
Teams within an organization (i.e. schools, businesses, community organizations) are encouraged to monitor the program rankings and walk more than other teams. A Golden Sneaker Award will be awarded to the individual, organization, school, city and team with the highest average steps during the time frame of the walking campaign. Partnering organizations will also receive a Cobb2020 supporter sign.
For questions on registration, visit Walk Georgia at http://www.walkgeorgia.org/index.cfm?public=AboutWalkGeorgia#about3.
How Do I Form a Team?
Teams are formed when four people decide to participate in the program together. Each team must have a team captain. The team captain must initiate team creation by creating a "Team Captain" account on the Walk Georgia website. This account can be created at any point within the program registration period (Oct. 1, 2013 to Oct. 9, 2013).
All teams should follow the following naming directions to be able to identify your city, organization and team. When the Team Captain registers a team, they should follow the pattern:
• Kennesaw_Harrison High School_Great PE Teachers
• Marietta_Smitha_Ms. Smith's Gators
The team captain needs to enter each team member's name and email address (if available). All team members must be entered at one time and cannot be changed. This MUST be completed before program registration ends.
After the team captain completes team creation, each member of the team will receive an email prompting them to create their own account.
An email address is required for all account creation. If a team member does not have an email address, the team captain can enter physical activity information on his or her behalf.
Once you confirm your account, the email address you register will be used to stay in touch with you throughout the program. This may be used for award notification, system-related issues such as resetting your password, sending a follow-up survey or to send a weekly email newsletter to subscribed addresses.
During each session, Walk Georgia sends eight weekly email newsletters that include healthy lifestyle tips, recipes, recognition of leading participants, success stories and announcements. You may sign up for this during registration or any time at http://eepurl.com/gYS3.
Cobb2020 is dedicated to helping you stay on track with your health commitments and we offer great tips, plans and interactive opportunities to get involved with jumpstarting a healthy lifestyle! Stay connected with us through the Cobb2020 website, Facebook page and Twitter page. And, don't forget to sign up to receive our monthly Cobb Voice newsletter for tips to live a healthy and active life.
Want to Share this Initiative with Others?
Download the Walk Cobb flyer to promote participation within your participation or community and get more people involved!
Click here to download the flyer.